24 May 2009

Gothenburg weekend getaway

We drove to Gothenburg, Sweden's second largest city for a short weekend getaway. It was a tiring 4hr drive there and the complicated roads at Gothenburg were killing us. (applies to GW only since I just lie back, enjoy the beautiful scenary & sing my jay chou songs loud loud) It can be quite confusing when the different paths for cars, pedestrians and cyclists looked the same.



Checked in to our hotel for the night - Grand Hotel Opera. The location is superb, right next to Nordstan and 50 steps away from the train station. We got it at a special price from booking.com and I was really impressed with the reception service, cleanliness and the room amenities available. There's safety deposit box, hair dryer, free wifi access, iron and ironing board! 10/10. Will definitely go back to that hotel again. Wow, looks like I just wrote a review for that hotel.



Dinner was at this malaysian restaurant near Nordstan shopping center. The food was good and I had 3 bowls of rice for that dinner so i guessed I lost the battle against my fats that night.



Gothenburg centrum and shopping streets. We got lost several times because we saw shopping streets everywhere and THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME! Can you see there's a attention seeker guy in full ski gear walking down the street?


Night view while strolling along the port


We didn't visit any attractions since our mission there was to do MY shopping... I combed through all of their zara, mango and topshop outlets but there's no sale so couldn't buy much stuff. In the end I got myself a green leather skirt (which i totally adore), 2 tops and a fridge magnet. GW was surprised that I bought so little stuff for my spree but being a super fussy shopper, there's really nothing much to buy.

Tell you lah, Singapore is still the best place for shopping. Counting down to my SG holiday and my meeting with Far east plaza, bugis village and tampines mall...

No comments: